[tree-ssa] Syntactic structures

Hello,

I have two questions:

1) are there some optimizations on tree-ssa that benefit from keeping
   all the syntactical structures around.
   , instead of just cfg + chain
2) are there some other reasons for keeping them, instead of just having
   cfg + chain of statements inside basic blocks
   (except for the amount of work neccesary to get rid of them) ?

Unless the answer to one of these questions is yes, why are they still
there?  I have just spent half a day fighting with them.  Now I
basically understand what's going on and I am disgusted and frightened
by idea of working on it further.

I am mostly decided to postpone the loop optimizer work a bit and
instead clean up this mess.  Would someone mind?

Zdenek