Re: Loop optimizer issues

> However, I would like to see these bits in independent chunks, if
> possible.  One alternative that I've been thinking about is to create a
> sub-branch of tree-ssa to deal exclusively with loop optimizations and
> vectorization:
>
>      1. The tree-ssa branch would like to become 3.5 in the near
>         future.  It already contains a lot of experimental code that I
>         would very much like to stabilize.  Adding even more
>         experimental code at this stage seems a bit risky to me.

I understand.

>      2. Since work for loop optimizers and vectorization has just
>         started, it is unclear how much of it will be ready for 3.5.

Just so you know, depending on when 3.5 happens, we do hope to have some
(very) limited vectorization capabilites by then; i.e - to be able to
vectorize the simplest loops (for(i=0;i<N;i++) {a[i] = b[i]}...);
As a first step this will require very simple analysis. Gradually, as
other components become available (dependence analysis, aliasing,..) -
the range of vectorizable loops will broaden. Maybe it's too optimistic,
but we do hope to get something into 3.5.

>      3. A sub-branch of tree-ssa is no different than a mainline
>         branch.  Code that's ready for 3.5, can be merged at the same
>         time as tree-ssa.
>
> Thoughts?

My main concern, should we go with a sub-branch, is that it not become a
container for experimental components. We'd like this work to be merged
with mainline as soon as it's stable; we don't want to add any unnecessary
obstacles.

If it does end up in a separate sub-branch, then I'd guess we would want
certain building blocks (those vital for vectorization) to also be in the
same sub-branch. This would include IV/array/dependence/alias analysis.

thanks,
dorit