Re: std::pow implementation

Richard Earnshaw <rearnsha@arm.com> writes:

| If the original C specification had said that "register" meant "register"
| unconditionally, then the situation wouldn't have been any different --
| the compiler would have to obey the user, even if the compiler could do
| better.  The same is also conceptually true with inline; if its meaning
| becomes "you, the compiler, have no choice in this decision" then it
| doesn't matter how smart the compiler can become it still has to obey the
| directive.  This, IMO, is clearly incompatible with the intent of inline,
| even as Stroustrup originally intended it.

The point of disagreement is that from "The same is also conceptually
true with inline", the compiler is jumping to "the same is also
practically true with inline" without even reaching that level of
sophistication.  If the compiler reaches that level, I'm pretty sure
Stroustrup will agree with you :-)  But till then....

-- Gaby