Re: std::pow implementation

Steven Bosscher wrote:
Op wo 30-07-2003, om 15:24 schreef Andrew Pinski:

On Wednesday, Jul 30, 2003, at 09:19 US/Eastern, Martin Reinecke wrote:

This could change if gcc starts to inline functions across translation units,
but currently it doesn't (I believe).

It does in the mainline if you put all the files as arguments to gcc. Example:

gcc temp.cc temp1.cc temp2.cc -o temp.o
gcc temp.o -o temp

This will cause intermodular optimizations.

But not yet for C++

Even if we had it for C++ it wouldn't help when I link against libraries, i.e. the optimizations are only done at the source code level. Once I have only object files and libraries, I'm out of luck. So it means that for a large application I'd need the full source code of all used libraries and compile them with a single call to gcc. This is for various reasons, rather unrealistic.

Cheers,
  Martin