Re: Loop optimizer issues

Diego Novillo <dnovillo@redhat.com> writes:

> I've been thinking about this proposal and I am not convinced that it
> would be a good idea to merge the two branches.

You give some good reasons from the point of view of the people
working on the tree-ssa branch.

Unfortunately, I think the larger picture says something different:

    * rtlopt is not getting merged into mainline for 3.4 unless we
      make a special exception to the rules.
    * tree-ssa is slated to be merged very early in 3.5 stage 1.
    * At that point tree-ssa may well include the total removal of
      the RTL loop optimizer, which would leave rtlopt with nothing
      to merge into.
    * But tree-ssa can usefully incorporate ideas from rtlopt if
      they're made visible to it now.

To me, that says that there are effectively three choices:

    * Merge rtlopt into tree-ssa now and deal with the pain.
    * Merge rtlopt into mainline now and deal with the pain.
    * Throw rtlopt away now.

Given what Zdenek said about the state of play on his branch, I am
inclined toward option 1.  I am not opposed to option 2 if we all
agree to make a push and finish fixing the thing on the mainline; this
would have the advantage of getting a better loop optimizer for 3.4
but risks release delays.  Option 3 seems like a heinous waste.

zw