Re: SCO systems and 'Target Deprecation'

Mark Mielke wrote:
I find companies that use open source / free software and who refuse
to return any resources at all to be border-line inappropriate. I find
companies that try to exploit the resources of world-wide volunteer or
shared effort networks to be evil, and to deserve a response of some
sort. SCO didn't make Linux, and yet, they claim to be the only reason
that Linux has succeeded as well as it has. This claim questions the
integrity, intelligence, and capability of Linux kernel developers,
and as a natural result, due to the confusion between the place of
Linux in open source / free software, places into question the
integrity, intelligence, and capability of open source / free software
developers all around the world. This is disgusting.

100% agreed.

The question is: Who makes a statement? GCC developers as an group? Each individual? Does the FSF speak for all GNU or GPL'd projects? In other words, do we wait for a decision by the SC, the FSF board, or RMS alone?

I would very much like to see a strong stand on this from the free software community. But defining that community is like herding cats... some people claim ultimate authority, while others have a personal Quixotic agenda.

We need a roadmap that allows participation by all concerned supporters of liberty. Beyond matters of justice, we all have a real, practical need to defend our rights from companies like SCO.

(As for my practical stake in the matter: I'm writing a book about parallel programming at the moment; it is based almost exclusively on free projects like GCC and Linux.)

--
Scott Robert Ladd