GCC Release Status (2003-07-11)

GCC 3.3.1
=========

GCC 3.3.1 is 7 days away -- although I suspect that we will slip by
about a week, as we try to fix some of the remaining critical PRs.  I
want to leave some time after we make prerelease tarballs, and I don't
anticipate doing that in the next couple of days.

Non-doc changes to the branch after midnight tonight require my
explicit approval.  I'm only interested in ICE-on-valid and wrong-code
PRs at this point; we'll not fix any more ICE-on-invalid or
warning-related PRs for this release.

There are 51 regressions targeted for GCC 3.3.1 (down from 88 last
week).  That represents substantial progress -- both in terms of bugs
fixed and bugs reviewed and found to be (relatively) unimportant.  I
expect to further triage this list some substantially over the next
few days.

Of these, 7 (down from 28) are C++ PRs.  Of these, I think that 1 is
not-a-bug, and Nathan is confirming that.  None of the other C++ bugs
look like showstoppers to me.  That means that the C++ front end is no
longer a significant problem for the 3.3.1 release.

If people who are good with code-gen issues would jump in and bang on
some of the open PRs, that would be very helpful.  We still have quite
a few of those kinds of issues open.

GCC 3.4
=======

GCC 3.4 Stage 2 is underway.

There are 282 (same as last week) PRs targeted for GCC 3.4 at present.
Of these, 107 (same as last week) are C++ PRs.  I hope this isn't one
of those Star Trek episodes where we have to keep fixing the same bugs
until we realize we're in a time loop...

--
Mark Mitchell
CodeSourcery, LLC