Re: starting compile server - advice needed

On Friday, July 11, 2003, at 02:42 PM, Per Bothner wrote:
So my question is: What is the recommended method for starting a server if one isn't running? Note that what makes this non-obvious are various race conditions: The client has to wait until the server has started, initialized itself, and is ready for a connection. Furthermore, it is possible (but less likely) for some other client to have already started a server, but we don't see it because isn't yet listening for connections.

I can fix that part of the code up, I'm not worried about that.

I'm more interested in things like, should create the server in pwd, or /tmp? Should we timeout in 1 minute, or 1 hour or 1 day? Should we autostart the server? In the testsuite, how should we stop the server. gcc --kill-server makes sense, but should it kill all languages, or just one language? If the server is in /tmp, should we kill them? What if they are `running'? What about a build with -j2? What about a QMtets with -j2? Who should load balance the CPUs? How? Do we let multiple users use one server? Do we let multiple projects use one server?

These are the types of questions it would be nice to get answers for.