This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the GCC project.
Re: ObjC improvements and ObjC++
- From: Nicola Pero <nicola at brainstorm dot co dot uk>
- To: Stan Shebs <shebs at apple dot com>
- Cc: Zack Weinberg <zack at codesourcery dot com>, <gcc at gcc dot gnu dot org>
- Date: Tue, 8 Jul 2003 11:17:27 +0100 (BST)
- Subject: Re: ObjC improvements and ObjC++
> >Is there any hope of ObjC runtime unification, and of documenting the
> >ObjC ABI?
> But seriously, it would be a substantial effort with (at best)
> a limited payoff. Apple would never give it priority over
> speeding up GCC, at least not until GCC was the fastest compiler
> on Macs.
Yes - your priorities seem right - even from a GNU point of view, I think
speeding up GCC is higher priority than ObjC runtime unification.
On the other hand, I'd really love to see ObjC runtime unification and
some sort of cross-vendor ObjC official specification, up to the small
details. I'd be probably willing to volunteer to help with this task.
It might have limited short-term payoff, but it would benefit the language
considerably in the long-term.