inquiry about RTL

Sir,
    Below is a quote from Richard Stallmen's document "Using and porting
GNU CC"

"People frequently have the idea of using RTL stored as text in a file as
an interface between a language front end and the bulk of GNU CC. This
idea is not feasible.

GNU CC was designed to use RTL internally only. Correct RTL for a given
program is very dependent on the particular target machine. And the RTL
does not contain all the information about the program. "

how much the RTL is dependent on target machine?..and in what all respects?
some machine dependent RTL features are...
 machine specific register usage, condition code register....

then how to get different RTL representation for different target machines..

    please reply me as soon as possible..this is for my project.
                                  Thanking you

                                               SRUTHY C.N.