configure.in (Cygnus and autoconf versions)

I just noticed that binutils and gcc use very different configure.in
files. binutils uses an autoconf file, and gcc uses a Cygnus configure
shell excerpt. My question now is, for a combined toolchain, which build
system is preferred? And, why are there two distinctly different build
systems? Are the tools slowly migrating to one or the other, or will
there always be two (Star Wars reference aside).

Thanks,
Shaun