Re: Not delivering {bugs,gnats,faq}.html in releases

On Thursday, June 26, 2003, at 2:43 PM, Joseph S. Myers wrote:

On Thu, 26 Jun 2003, Wolfgang Bangerth wrote:

That's no longer true. Try it, by default no component is selected, and not
setting one gives you a red error box.

That seems browser-dependent. The first browser I tried with, lynx, showed ada as selected.
Then lynx is broken.
The form specifically has no component selected by default.
Lynx apparently decides to select the first one in this case, rather than doing the right thing, which is to not select anything.
I'll note my text browser, links, does the same thing, but i *know* it's broken in this regard, because i submitted a patch to fix it.

I'm sure lynx is doing it the same reason links was doing it: They don't add a blank select value automatically to the box when there is nothing selected by default, so they have to select *something*, and choose the first thing listed.

The second, Mozilla, showed no default selection
and an error box on submission.

All graphical browsers i've got around (Safari, Omniweb, a few mozilla derivatives) do the right thing here.

-- Joseph S. Myers jsm28@cam.ac.uk