Re: Not delivering {bugs,gnats,faq}.html in releases

On Thu, 26 Jun 2003, Wolfgang Bangerth wrote:

> Hm, do you mean that we have to distribute a list of bugzilla
> categories/keywords/... and their meanings with releases? I don't see any
> value in this, since you can only do something with this information if you
> are online. The only exception is the gccbug script, but I will certainly
> refuse to go through hoops generating this information just for the sake of
> gccbug.
>
> Can you please clarify this?

The point of this is providing documentation for gccbug, by way of "lynx
-source http://gcc.gnu.org/bugzilla/describecomponents.cgi"; in the release
script.  (The rest of gnats.html - other than the list of categories -
does have some use as documentation for gccbug, as describing the fields
before the GNATS-to-Bugzilla converter handles them; perhaps the rest
should just be in the gcc rather than wwwdocs CVS as gccbug documentation,
but we wanted to avoid duplicate documentation of the categories.
Incidentally, in general the descriptions of categories in gnats.html are
better-written documentation than those in Bugzilla and should be merged
into those in Bugzilla.  Including documentation of other Bugzilla fields
in releases can wait for a better gccbug program rewritten to use the
Bugzilla email interface rather than converting GNATS-style mails.)

Removing documentation previously present in releases of how to use part
of those releases would certainly be a regression.

--
Joseph S. Myers
jsm28@cam.ac.uk