Re: some profiling numbers

On Wednesday, June 25, 2003, at 4:47 PM, Steven Bosscher wrote:

One thing you point out is that the slowdown is more or less a result of GCC just getting bigger. Does that mean that the extra passes over the whole chain of insns or trees may be blamed for much of the slowdown? Is there any way to measure how many times different GCC versions walks large chains of insns/trees, and where? (Maybe the number of cache misses per function or something like that???)

I would be curious to see how mainline does, too...

http://gcc.gnu.org/ml/gcc/2002-09/msg00215.html

We have made progress in removing redundant tree chain walks exposed in right hand side of the graph. But you can see as compilation continues, it touches more and more memory pages to access nodes in tree chain.

-Devang