Re: RFA: Please review the new C++ demangler patch

Benjamin Kosnik <bkoz@redhat.com> writes:

>> Me too. But I also want a correct C++ demangler.
>
> I would like to see support for C++ predicated on the existence of C++.
> I don't think this is unreasonable.

Having the C++ compiler around should not be a problem.  I'm worried
about the requirement for libstdc++, which (as discussed upthread)
produces nasty circular build dependencies that I am not convinced
have been adequately addressed.

Rewriting the demangler not to use <vector> is hard, OK.  How about
embedding a mini <vector> in the demangler?  Same same for whatever it
needs from libsupc++.  Needs careful handling of symbols.  And then
maybe the demangler should be pulled out of libiberty and given its
own library, we ought to be able to nail down the ABI and make a
proper shared object...  Ideally exposes no symbols that aren't extern "C".

How hard would it be to subsume the functionality of the *old*
(pre-V3) demangler into this demangler?

zw