Re: Licensquestions on GNU Software.

Alexandre Oliva wrote:
On Jun 24, 2003, Nathan Sidwell <nathan@codesourcery.com> wrote:

I am using free tools under GPL to compilate and link
a proprietary software.

That is fine.

Not that fast.  Even though GCC doesn't propagate freedom to programs
it compiles, not even by means of libgcc and its other run-time
libraries, because of the run-time exception to their licenses, the
Cygwin run-time library has no such run-time exception, i.e., it's
strictly GPL, and therefore any executable linked with the Cygwin
library could be considered a derived work, and therefore be subject
to the rules imposed by the GNU GPL on derived works, namely, being
covered by the GNU GPL as well.  The copyright holders of Cygwin may
license it to you under different licenses, though.

thanks for the clarification. [I did say I was unfamiliar with the cygwin license, and being weasely I could claim that a library is not a tool for compiling and linking, but a piece of data being linked :)]

summary:GCC and binutils (assembler, linker, etcc) fit your needs, cygwin
needs checking carefully.

nathan

-- Nathan Sidwell :: http://www.codesourcery.com :: CodeSourcery LLC The voices in my head said this was stupid too nathan@codesourcery.com :: http://www.planetfall.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk