Re: List of important PRs for 3.3.1, week -3.5

On Monday, Jun 23, 2003, at 21:08 US/Eastern, Dale Johannesen wrote:

On Monday, June 23, 2003, at 05:50 PM, Andrew Pinski wrote:
Could you add 3187 as it is a regression from 2.95.3 and should have been marked as a regression long time ago?
I think someone from apple sent in a patch to fix this but I could be wrong.

It's only sort of a regresion; 2.95.3 did not follow the standard in this area, and the extra functions
are a side effect of conformance. At least another entry point is necessary.

Apple has code that changes one of the duplicate functions to be a call to the other one, and
lets sibcall change this into a single branch insn. I don't recall whether this was submitted,
and don't know whether such an approach would be welcomed. Certainly multiple entry
points seem cleaner to me, but MacOS can't currently handle them.

It was submitted: <http://gcc.gnu.org/ml/gcc-patches/2002-08/msg00354.html> and there is
support for multiple entry points according to Mark Mitchel in one of the follow ups:

Note that Zack recently checked in better support for alternate entry
points.  What we really want to do is use alternate entry points; that
will save even more space that your approach, and be faster as well.

Thanks,
Andrew Pinski