Re: cross-compilation documentation

Jan-Benedict Glaw wrote:
That first step, installing bootstrap glibc headers, is a new
and annoying prerequisite as of gcc-3.3. See
http://sources.redhat.com/ml/crossgcc/2003-06/msg00170.html
for my rant on the subject.

ACK.

_But_ it's even worse that there's no[1] strict documentation on how to
get a working cross-compiler. There are some "interesting"
configurations which should have easily findable documentation.
(Extensive --with-sysroot docs?).

For me, toying mostly with around with Linux, my top wishlist is:

	- Building a Linux kernel-only cross compiler on my i386-linux
	  box for some {mips|ppc|m68k|...}-linux target running
	  efficiently on the box I build it on (BUILD == HOST).
	- Building a Linux kernel-only cross compiler on my i386-linux
	  box for some {mips|ppc|m68k|...}-linux target running
	  on any i386-like Linux machine (BUILD != HOST). So I can
	  easily copy this binutils/compiler suite to some other box.

	- Building a full cross compiler (including userland and all
	  sensefull languages) with BUILD == HOST as well as BULID !=
	  HOST, but also keeping in mind that BUILD and HOST are nearly
	  identical:)

OK, your wish is granted, I think. Even that last part. See http://kegel.com/crosstool for my all-singing, all-dancing build script. (I don't have m68k support yet, but since you asked, I'll try to add it today.)

For all those who are trying to build cross compilers, you may find
helpfull hints at my link list here:
http://lug-owl.de/~jbglaw/linux-ports/#EasilyBuildableCrossToolchains

Very nice! I now link to that from http://www.kegel.com/crosstool/

- Dan

[ Please cc me, as I'm not subscribed to gcc. ]

--
Dan Kegel
http://www.kegel.com