Re: cross-compilation documentation

Jim Wilson wrote:
Dan Kegel wrote:

I understand that at the recent summit, cross-compilation
documentation was listed as being an item of high priority.
I've been working on this a bit; my current efforts are at
http://kegel.com/crosstool

This looks useful. It only covers the case where the target is GNU/Linux, but that is the case that is least well documented.

The Linux target is interesting because you can build absolutely everything from virgin source tarballs. It's a challenge, though: you have to install just the glibc headers so you can compile a bootstrap gcc so you can compile glibc so you can (finally!) compile gcc. That first step, installing bootstrap glibc headers, is a new and annoying prerequisite as of gcc-3.3. See http://sources.redhat.com/ml/crossgcc/2003-06/msg00170.html for my rant on the subject.

I'd like to get in touch with whoever is working on this
issue in the gcc team.

Which is probably no one. You could try getting the process started by submitting a patch for the documentation which covers the basic process. You could also consider contributing a script for the contrib directory.

Thanks, I will, once I have automated remote chroot testing working. Gotta get that copyright assignment paperwork going, too. - Dan

--
Dan Kegel
http://www.kegel.com