Re: Partial autoconf transition thoughts

On 12 Jun 2003, Alexandre Oliva wrote:

> >  That's the place for libbfd for the host
>
> Exactly.  $exec_prefix is already supposed to be host-specific, so you
> don't need $host_alias there again.  If you build bfd for other
> targets, target_alias will be different from host_alias, and
> everything is fine, each libbfd will be in a separate directory.
> Unless you start building different libbfds for the same pair
> (host,target), exec_prefix and target[_alias] should be enough to keep
> them apart.

 OK, then what about the following example: on an i386-linux system I have
three shared binaries of libbfd, one is for i386-linux host and i386-linux
target, another one is for i386-linux host and mipsel-linux target and the
last one is for mipsel-linux host and mipsel-linux target.  Which one
should go where?

 Anyway see 'http://sources.redhat.com/ml/binutils/2002-05/msg00184.html'
and its follow ups for the origin of the choice -- as you took part in the
discussion, I'm actually surprised you are not aware of the current setup.