proposing new maintainers (was: notes from gcc summit maintenanceBOF)

On Sun, 1 Jun 2003, Gabriel Dos Reis wrote:
>> more people who can approve patches
> I think this is a real issue.  I would like like us find some answers.

The most straight-forward way for adding a maintainer is for a current
maintainer of that part of GCC to propose someone to the SC (and I happily
volunteer to forward any such requests).

If, for example,

 - Alexandre and DJ suggest Nathanael as configury maintainer, or
 - some SPARC maintainer suggests Eric as SPARC maintainer, or
 - RTH suggests Roger as middle-end maintainer,

I'd expect these to be more or less automatic, and there surely are
several other such cases.

Gerald

PS: For parts with several maintainers, these can still ask others to
follow some practices like "I'd prefer to have a look at patches for
GigaSPARC VI", but Zack and Neil for cpp, Janis and myself for the web,
and many others have demonstrated that this is very viable approach.