Development plan (was: Re: splitting this list)

Benjamin Kosnik wrote:

What do folks think about trying to alleviate the increasingly heavy
volume on this list into something more manageable?

Doing something about this would be nice. I dunno if the target-specific lists are the way to go but I'd be willing to try something new.

Why not more language-specific lists? You now sometimes see discussions about language issues being debated in gcc and gcc-patches (one of them or both at the same time). But hardly ever about Java, because they have their own mailing lists.

I would really appreciate a gcc-release list, so I could understand what
the release dates are without having to

1) scan the gcc archives 2) miss deadlines and have Mark do release-fu on me

Since when are release dates announced in the gcc archives? :-) If the development plan was being discussed less infrequent, and if
the web page for it would for once not be out of date, it would be easier to follow for everyone.

Right now, I have no idea when gcc-3.4 will branch (but am assuming June
14, 2003), or when a gcc-3.3.1 release is scheduled (I'm assuming there
is no organization or plan here).

Not too helpful:

http://gcc.gnu.org/develop.html

Well, what is a list of planned release dates worth if you look back and notice the 6 months between branching 3.3 and actually releasing it?

When 3.3 should have been in bug fix mode (ie. stage 3), everybody was playing with their own branches. Now that all those branches have been merged. there still is no clear plan. OK, so you cannot plan the details because you cannot demand volunteers to only hunt/fix bugs and stabilize the trunk. But with a complete lack of a plan like the current situation, a volunteer wouldn't even know what to do or what to prioritize.

That is why I had hoped so much to hear more about what Mark has said in his keynote at the GCC summit.... :-( Did anyone take notes there?

Gr.
Steven