Optimizing for Low Power Consumption

Greetings,

I'm working on a research project concerned with reducing the power
consumption of programs running on embedded systems.  The m68hc11 is one
of the chips we are working with.  I would like to modify gcc's backend
for this target to select the instructions with the lowest cost in terms
of power consumption.  It seems that this could be implemented using
peephole optimization.

As someone who is unfamiliar with the internals of gcc, can anyone tell me
what the scope of this project would be, and if it is a realistic goal for
a short-term summer project?

Thanks in advance,
Christopher M. Wolff

Graduate Student