Re: http://g95.sourceforge.net or http://gcc-g95.sourceforge.net

Joseph S. Myers wrote:

On Tue, 3 Jun 2003, Steven Bosscher wrote:

His tree contains code from Paul (at least 1/3 of all code), myself and others who have contributed in the past. And of course he links with the middle-end in the binary that he distributes. The standard assignment does not allow you to link proprierty code to GPLed code, or to take ownership of code contributed by others.

In that case, you *should* get RMS involved (or, rather, license-violation@gnu.org, as described at <http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-violation.html>); it may not be necessary to get him involved in micromanagement of official GNU maintainers and different forks when the appropriate fork can simply be included in GCC on technical grounds, but GPL violations are a matter where the FSF does need to get involved.

We want to do that only as a last resort. Kaveh Ghazi made an excellent remark during the GCC Summit: try some other way of communication than by e-mail. We thought a while about someone from the GCC community who could visit Andy, but couldn't think of anyone (that lives in Phoenix, Arizona). As a second way of action he suggested me phoning Andy, but that's a bit complicated, due to the time difference.

I think I have a third alternative, that I'll try shortly.

In the meantime, integration of gcc-g95 into the tree-ssa branch should continue - there's nothing (to my knowledge) in the gcc-g95 code that's not properly GPL'd (or LGPL'd where appropriate) and/or not assigned to the FSF.

GNU Fortran 95: http://gcc-g95.sourceforge.net/ (under construction)