Re: RFC: Moving C to its own directory

On Monday, Jun 2, 2003, at 16:57 America/New_York, Benjamin Kosnik wrote:
Remember at the gcc summit where you were asking about interfaces between
the front ends and the back ends? (ie, what interface?). I see this
attempt at a coherent organization of the gcc sources as a first step at
attempting formal interfaces.

Yes, I'm all in favor of a well-defined front end/back end interface.
I just don't see what an extra fe/ directory does to help.
For example, the entire Ada front end lives in the ada/ directory.
There are no dependencies on any other front end and there is no
common front-end code to share. I think this is true for most front ends.

It would seem to make more sense to move the tree passes and
rtl passes into separate subdirectories tree/ and rtl/ directories
and leave the gcc/gcc directory for descriptions of the interfaces
(rtl.h, tree.h, ...) and some glue code to call everything (toplev.c).

However if there are plans for what should live in the fe/ directory,
I'd like to hear them.

-Geert