Re: RFC: Moving C to its own directory

On Mon, Jun 02, 2003 at 10:11:29AM -0700, cgd@broadcom.com wrote:
> At Sun, 1 Jun 2003 20:59:44 +0000 (UTC), "David O'Brien" wrote:
> > The only "hole" is that "cvs co -D" will give more files than actually
> > existed on that date.
>
> Which, since people do checkouts by date often in GCC, may be quite
> significant.
>

> > That still won't break the build, and since GCC
> > tags so often,
>
> Uh, "won't" by luck, or "can't."  Probably the former.  (There can by
> great joy if a new header with a oft-used name pops up in an old
> source tree.)

Can't in BSD due to our deterministic Makefiles, etc.. -- this hasn't bit
FreeBSD in the many years we've done this type of repo copy.  There is a
possbility that GCC with its use of autoconf & friends, that something
could get confused.

> (I've had people suggest to me, in the past, "well, then, why not
> change all of the dates on the revision."  Talk about "just don't get
> it...")

Changing the dates in the ,v files would be the Wrong Thing to do.

--
-- David  (obrien@FreeBSD.org)