Customizations Won't Stick

I'm trying to customize GCC to my own particular development needs.  I inserted some code in "src/gcc-3.3/gcc/main.c" which compiles fine.  The code also works as expected in the following intermediary files:

obj/gcc-3.3/gcc/cc1
obj/gcc-3.3/gcc/cc1obj
obj/gcc-3.3/gcc/cc1plus

However, after I do a "make install" the code disappears as if it was never there.  The binary files:

bin/gcc
bin/g++
bin/(the one for objective c; I forget the name)

work fine, except for the code I inserted.  The binary files act as if the code was removed or was never there, because tests show that everything else works ok.

I've tried various different makes:  bootstrap, all-gcc, install, install-gcc.  The results were all the same.

Could someone please tell me what I'm doing wrong?  Why won't my customizations stick?  Why do they appear in the intermediary files but disappear in the final binary output files (the installed files)?

Thanks in advance.

Joseph Wagner