Re: RFC: Moving C to its own directory

"Joseph S. Myers" <jsm28@cam.ac.uk> writes:

> On Sun, 1 Jun 2003, Neil Booth wrote:
>
>> 1) Create a directory fe/
>> 2) Create a directory fe/c/
>> 3) Move c-specific and C common files, like c-lex.c, there.
>> 4) Move objc/ to fe/ too.
>
> Where does cpplib go in this system?  A toplevel directory alongside gcc?

Yes.  That's currently blocked on (a) finishing Eric Christopher's
work to get proper charset conversion happening, (b) Nathanael moving
the bootstrap logic to the top level.  The latter is not strictly
necessary; it would mean that cpplib only got built with the host
compiler, but that's already the case for libiberty.

> While file moves are being proposed, any idea of timing for two others
> that have long been proposed - moving the Ada libraries to toplevel (so
> they can build like other libraries, support multilibs, etc.)

can't comment on that one,

> and moving intl to toplevel (as a directory that should be shared
> with projects using src)?

I might do this around the time I do cpplib - anyone who wants to beat
me to it is welcome.  It needs coordination with binutils and gdb, and
I think both gcc and src repositories are out of date wrt upstream
libintl.

zw