RE: Documenting tools necessary for GCC [draft]

Nathanael wrote:
> Bruce said:
> [[...]]
>         regenerate the top level Makefile.am's from
>
> That's "The top level Makefile.in". No automake at the top level
> (there are almost no actual files to deal with,
> so automake is an unnecessary complication).

That's what I get for typing off the top of my head....

>         (you could probably get away with earlier versions than
>         5.5.4, but the Makefile.tpl could contain some of the feature
>         creep since fixincl.tpl was written...Makefile.tpl is
>         under active development.)
>
> That it is. I don't think it contains any feature creep; all I've used so far
> are IF/ELSE, FOR, and plain old substitutions. (Albeit lots and lots of those,
> nested, which is why I'm using AutoGen.) But it might in the future. :-)

I'm trying to sell you on using [= FOR name IN list ... =]
which showed up in 5.4.  Problem is, issues showed up in 5.4 that
weren't fully ironed out until 5.5.3/4.  :-}  Ergo, may as well
encourage 5.5.4....

RE: Guile.  AutoGen requires the 1.4.1 interface or later.
Even though the gh_* interface is documented as the preferred
user interface for the 1.4.x series, it is deprecated in the
next (1.6) release series and intended to be retired RSN.
They are making several incompatible changes to the interface,
even within the gh_* interface.  :(