Re: Documenting tools necessary for GCC [draft]

On Thu, 29 May 2003, Kaveh R. Ghazi wrote:

>  > I don't know of a version that works, but I have a patch to the
>  > .texi files to make them compatible with 4.2, that patch is in the
>  > 3.3 release.
>
> Any reason you haven't forward-ported it to mainline?

It's not the Right solution; it's a temporary kludge.  The proper solution
- as a "good cooperating member of the free software community" (to merge
two phrases from contributewhy.html) - must involve reporting the problem
to the Texinfo maintainers (generally very responsive to problems found in
connection with GCC) and having them identify and fix it - then adjusting
required versions if it turns out that the problem may affect info (not
just HTML) generation on some systems.

--
Joseph S. Myers
jsm28@cam.ac.uk