Re: Documenting tools necessary for GCC [draft]

On Thu, 29 May 2003, Kaveh R. Ghazi wrote:
> At the GCC BOF where topics relating to process and maintenence were
> discussed, one of the issues was tools (and acceptable versions) that
> are necessary for building and/or modifying GCC.

Excellent.

> gzip version 1.2.4 (or later) or
> bzip2 version ??? (or later)

bzip 1.0 and 1.0.1 would be sufficient, but bzip2 1.0.2 solved security
issues and other bugs and is widely deployed, so I'd specify that.

Though, in fact, given that these two programs will need to remain compatible
by design, do we really need to specify versions?

> Necessary to uncompress gcc tar files when source code is obtained via
> FTP mirror sites.

s/gcc/GCC/

> expect version ???
> tcl version ???
> dejagnu version ???
>
> Necessary to run the GCC testsuite.

Please put this information into doc/install.texi (or update the one
already there, respectively) only, to avoid duplication which will
lead to inconsistency in the long term.

(That's one of the problems we still have with the Java web pages, for
example, though I'm working on that.)

Gerald
--
Gerald "Jerry"   pfeifer@dbai.tuwien.ac.at   http://www.pfeifer.com/gerald/