Re: Cooperation between "bug masters" and "bug fixers"

On Tue, 2003-05-27 at 16:00, Wolfgang Bangerth wrote:
> A couple of minutes ago, I wrote the following, triggering some more thoughts:
>
> > I get the feeling that in C++ land, bug fixing rate has really picked up
> > since we started to go through GNATS last fall.
>
> So here's two questions:
> 1/ Is this only my impression, or is this also something that those who
> really fix the bugs that we map feel?

The bug reports that you guys have been giving me has been useful.
Especially when you point to one I hadn't seen in the database.

> 2/ We never seemed to have talked about this: What, you "bug fixers", do
> you really need to fix a bug? I get the impression that reduced testcases
> are helpful, and that certainly having a bug database where you know what
> is and what is not a bug might be too. I also think that the fact that we
> started to mark regressions as such did something very beneficial to the
> quality of releases.

I'm really happy with the bug reports that I get. The one time I was
thinking I needed a smaller testcase one magically appeared.

Thanks for all of the hard work.

-eric

--
Eric Christopher <echristo@redhat.com>