Re: Bugzilla is dead.

On Wed, 28 May 2003, Gerald Pfeifer wrote:

> Probably we could keep http-logs for a shorter period (/www/logs/
> currently amounts to 6.4 GB), and if we need to, we could also
> remove old versions of the GCC manuals from http://gcc.gnu.org/onlinedocs.

The old manuals are deliberately kept around forever, so as not to break
links or bookmarks to them.  We only link to the most recent manuals from
each release series, but keep the older ones around.

> (Joseph, couldn't we omit the *.ps versions, as we have *.ps.gz anyways?)

Sometimes we've linked to the .gz versions, sometimes direct to the .ps
versions (which the server would in the past have transmitted gzipped
using the .gz versions - there were problems though with how the HTTP
headers used interacted with what name the browser saved the file under
and whether it saved it compressed, which I think is why we changed to
linking to the .gz versions).  The idea of having everything in onlinedocs
both compressed and uncompressed was certainly for use with this server
feature.

--
Joseph S. Myers
jsm28@cam.ac.uk