Re: PROPOSAL: Policy for obsoleting targets

[ I apologize .. I'm finally catching up on GCC mail, having not had the time to read
it for a about a month .. ]

On Sunday, May 18, 2003, at 07:17 AM, Marc Espie wrote:

I'm completely against this.

I'll agree with Marc, here.

NetBSD is in a situation where we were at 2.95 for quite a long time for various stupid reasons (mainly "no one willing to get NetBSD-specific fixes into GCC mainline" for a long time ... until I stepped up to the task, for better or worse :-)

GCC 3.3 is the first GCC release in a VERY long time which supports the majority of NetBSD's supported platforms out-of-box, so you're certainly not going to see 3.x test results before 3.3 that cover a wide range of NetBSD targets.

There are other issues with testing, as well... NetBSD runs on quite a number of platforms, many of which are hard to find, are extremely slow, or consume way too much power for anyone to want to power it up for any length of time. Considering how piggish GCC has become in terms of compile speed, it takes a REALLY long time to bootstrap on my HP 9000/380, only to find out at the end of a couple of days that libstdc++ failed to compile due to an assembler bug.

Here are what I see as some gaps in GCC testing support:

1. There does not appear to be a pre-packaged "automated regression testing kit"
in the source tree. For people with a limited amount of time, setting one up
can be an obstacle. If there were a nice set of scripts and concise instructions
on how to set them up and use them, this would be a big help.

2. It does not appear as if the testsuite is run in rsh mode very often. Because
I have a number of slow targets to support, I really like to run the testsuite on
a host, and use the rsh method to run execute tests on the target. However, I
have run into problems with some of the tests in this type of configuration, and
I have little time to actually track them down at the moment.

Obviously, if the scripts mentioned in (1) supported a host-rsh-target setup,
that'd be extra cool :-)

3. GCC's compile-time performance is so bad that it causes testsuite failures on
some platforms simply because dejagnu gives up waiting for the compiler to
finish. I have not been able to run the testsuite on an SS20 for quite a long
time. There's really no excuse for that.

Anyway, these three things would certainly help me provide more regular NetBSD test results, and would make it *possible* for me to report on more platforms than x86, alpha, and mipseb.