Manual contributions and copyright assignments

RMS asked us to implement the following policy:

  [P]lease don't install changes in the manual on the strength
  of copyright assignments signed before Jan 2002.  If a person signed
  before that, assign@gnu.org can look at the papers and tell you if
  they explicitly cover documentation.  If not, we should get new papers
  from that contributor.

As far as I understand, obvious fixes and minor changes (where we didn't
need a copyright assignment before) are not affected.

RMS, how do you suggest to proceed practically?  This seems to affect more
than 100 developers with CVS write access, any of which can commit patches
of her/his own or others, and about 700 contributors overall (according to
/gd/gnuorg/copyright.list).

Gerald
--
Gerald "Jerry"   pfeifer@dbai.tuwien.ac.at   http://www.pfeifer.com/gerald/