Re: PROPOSAL: Policy for obsoleting targets

Michael S.Zick wrote:
The problem with cross build is that there is really no generic
"build a cross compiler" procedure. ...

No one person is skilled in all those types of cross builds.  I have
done about 4 of them in the past year.  If GCC is to have good cross
building instructions, then my proposal would be to divide the
instructions into categories based upon the above patterns and any
others that people can identify.

Agreed on all counts. You seem to have a great starting point.

So, suppose we start a web page with Joel's categories as headings, and then let people fill in sections for instructions in places where they know the answer? We'll wind up with missing sections, but at least we'll have something to point people to.

Perhaps establishing a Wiki would be the answer here. It is such a diverse subject (cross-building) with many people having just the bits and pieces that work for them; it sounds like an ideal subject for a Wiki.

Like, say, the one at http://billgatliff.com/twiki/bin/view/Crossgcc/WebHome ? (though I don't much like wikis, and that one's a bit out of date...)

For what it's worth, over on the crossgcc mailing list, we're trying
to update Bill Gatliff's toolchain build script.
See also http://www.embeddedtux.org/pipermail/etux/2003-May/000018.html
- Dan

--
Dan Kegel