Re: Downloads

Gerald Pfeifer wrote:

> On Thu, 15 May 2003, Joe Laffey wrote:
> > I run the mirror mirrors.laffeycomputer.com. I notcie that a good number
> > of people are too ignorant to read the documentation first, and they
> > download ALL the files within the directory of a particular release.
>
> Ouch.  Thanks for letting us know!
>
> > I bet you could save yourself and the mirrors (and the users) some
> > bandwidth by placing all of the individual files that are included in the
> > main tarball (e.g. gcc-3.3.tar.gz) into a subfolder called something like
> > "separate_components".
>
> This is an excellent suggestion, and unless there are strong objection,
> I will move all components and diff files into new subdirectories called
> "components" and "diffs", respectively, tomorrow morning.

BTW, does anybody actually *use* the seperate components?
Given todays bandwidths and hard-disk sizes, I'd guess that everybody
just grabs the full tarball (or the diffs).
Maybe some only grab the core system (to get a system compiler).

Wouldn't it make sense to remove the seperate components (that should
save bandwidth on the mirrors and simplify the release procedure)?

The same holds for the snapshots. It would probably make more sense
to add snapshots for 3.4 instead.

Regards,
Volker