Re: I want try...finally

On Thursday, May 15, 2003, at 08:06 AM, Andrew V. Fionik wrote:

Hi, guys.

I think that you doing great job by making GCC and G++. However i feel that
C++
compiler lacks support for one great language construct "try...finally". I'm
sure you know about it. It widely used in prooperitary Microsoft and Borland
C++/Delphi compilers. This construct allows to easy write safe, elegant, and
well readably code.

I hope you will add this language feature.

P.S. Of course i know that it not exist in standard, but i think in that
case standard deffinitely outdated.

I would oppose adding the "finally" construct to our C++ compiler unless the
standard is updated to include it.

I don't have strong feelings about whether the C++ Standard should be updated
to include "finally", but I do feel strongly that this sort of language
extension should be done by the standards committee, not on a patchwork basis
by gcc maintainers.

I suggest that you write up a proposal for "finally" (what are the exact
semantics of the feature, what coding styles does it support that are
impossible with the existing language, how it wouild interact with existing
language features, how it would affect user code, what would need to change in
the standard). Then you should get that proposal to the standards committee.
The easiest way to get a proposal to the standards committee is to post it to
the Usenet newsgroup comp.std.c++. A number of committee members also read
this mailing list, so, if you write up a detailed proposal, we can make sure
it gets seen by the appropriate people.

--Matt