Re: new register allocator and HARD_REGNO_CALL_PART_CLOBBERED

On May 14, 2003, Michael Matz <matz@suse.de> wrote:

> Sure sure.  I just wanted to know if the set of forbidden regs could
> possibly also depend on the call in question.  Looking at the definition
> of HARD_REGNO_CALL_PART_CLOBBERED() this is not possible.

But it may soon be.  There are plans to support different calling
conventions for different functions.  Consider changing the
clobber/save patterns of static functions never used outside the
current translation unit by extending or limiting the set of registers
it can clobber.  It would be ideal if the new register allocator
didn't make the assumption that calling-conventions are fixed for all
functions.