Re: RFC/Ada: removal of $(ADAC) support

kenner@vlsi1.ultra.nyu.edu (Richard Kenner) writes:

>     It achieves the goal I had when I wrote it, which was to enable
>     bootstrapping with no special effort on common free operating system
>     distributions that ship compatible Ada and C compilers, but with the
>     Ada compiler accessible only as 'gnatgcc' or similar.
>
> Unfortunately, it didn't work and we got lots of complaints from users
> of those systems.

You must be talking to a disjoint set of people from the people I am
talking to.

>     You rejected a patch which would have fixed this.
>
> I don't believe it would have.
>
> The only way to "fix" it is to use the same compiler for everything.  It
> can be called either "gnatgcc" or "gcc", but the point is that you must
> use the same one to compile both C and Ada.

No. There is only one C source file that needs to be compiled
with the compiler that is used for the Ada source code: the one that
defines __gnat_raise_exception.  Which is what the patch you rejected
did.

... Whatever.  You lot are the Ada maintainers, it's your decision
whether or not to put this in.  I won't be personally affected anymore
so I am not going to stop you.  But you are doing our users a
disservice.

zw