Re: downloading GCC documentation

Speaking of documentation, is the source file for gccint.ps available
somewhere?  I couldn't find it, and the ps file prints all of the page
numbers off the top of the page.

phil@ipal.net wrote:
It would be nice if there was a link to allowing downloading the full
GCC documentation tree as a tar.gz file.  I have looked on the following
pages and do not see such a link:

  http://gcc.gnu.org/
  http://gcc.gnu.org/faq.html
  http://gcc.gnu.org/onlinedocs/
  http://gcc.gnu.org/onlinedocs/gcc/
  http://gcc.gnu.org/onlinedocs/gcc-3.2.2/ (forbidden, but hey, I tried)
  http://gcc.gnu.org/onlinedocs/gcc-3.2.2/gcc/
  http://gcc.gnu.org/readings.html

I want to read the documentation while "offline" (literally, while my
slow dialup modem is busy downloading the latest of everything, which is
usually the case 95% of the time) in my web browser.  Alternatively,
"one big HTML file" could work, although I suspect that would be
unwieldy for something the scale of GCC.  But I think the tar.gz thing
should be readily doable.

This would save me having to run wget recursively on the documentation,
and rerunning it to be sure a file here or there didn't get missed
(generally I figure two passes w/o any change in the downloaded tree
means likely success).  But with a tar.gz file, one download and an MD5
check should do it.

Further, the web server on gcc.gnu.org does not give a Last-modified
header, so wget always retrieves each file all over again on each pass.

I check the FTP server on the same hostname.  The "pub" area does not
seem to have the online docs files (even a recursive download would be
better here as the timestamps would be preserved and be usable to avoid
redundant downloading).  The "www" area of the FTP server is not the
gcc.gnu.org site; it appears to be empty.

I am not subscribed to the mailing list.  This is a suggestion for the
web site since I have already downloaded the documentation (the hard
way).  However, if you have any communications for me about this, feel
free to contact me by email.

--
Michael Eager	 Eager Consulting     eager@eagercon.com
1960 Park Blvd., Palo Alto, CA 94306  650-325-8077