Re: GCJ and $PREFIX/include

On Sun, May 04, 2003 at 01:57:29PM -0500, Benjamin Kosnik wrote:
> Although I'm a fan of the current C++ include install strategy, I'd not
> be one to force it on other runtime libs. I do think that
> $(prefix)/include/language/do_your_thing makes the most cohesive install
> for the gcc project as a whole. It would be great to have some
> consistency on this, but since consistency has never really been a goal
> here.....

The issue is that one may want to have gcc 3.1, 3.2.3, and 3.3-snapshot
installed all at the same time.  With the positioning of the Java bits,
they stomp on top of each other.

Even if they installed into {prefix}/include/<gcc_ver>/, it is messier
for those of us making distributions where the files in
{prefix}/include/<gcc_ver>/ depends on the OS version.  In the FreeBSD
package, I install everything possible under
{prefix}/lib/gcc-lib/<tuple>/<gcc_ver>/ and then run find to get a list
of names for the package list.  Very nice and easy.  And also importantly
keeps {prefix} clean when one has 100's of things installed.

I'd love to be able to do this with Java also.

> Two meta comments on the current configuration issues concerning includes:
>
> --with-gxx-include-dir
>
> Should have been named --with-include-install-dir. I don't think this
> makes any sense now, since we have DESTDIR support. I would love to
> remove it, unless somebody can tell me a compelling reason to keep it.

--with-gxx-include-dir is very important to the FreeBSD packages.  I use:

    TARGLIB=         ${PREFIX}/lib/gcc-lib/${CONFIGURE_TARGET}/${GCC_REV}
    CONFIGURE_ARGS+= --with-gxx-include-dir=${TARGLIB}/include/g++-v3

with much joy.  Please do not remove it with out something that provides
the same functionality.

--
-- David  (obrien@FreeBSD.org)