RE: Warnings about rcs_id strings: let's settle this

> Right, but to reiterate, GCC has warned about *that* construct since
> forever; anyone using -Wall would have had problems already.
Except people newly using gcc on very large existing legacy source bases
:)
I want to make sure the warning controls whats expected, not what may
already have been worked / hacked / designed around. In in the spirit
of the INTENT, I don't think the const-ness should be a factor. UNLESS

If we *really* want to help the user, and give them maximum control,
we could turn this into a two-flag deal, and have
-Wunused-static-variable
and -Wunused-static-const-variable. But I am not really proposing that.
I just don't think const should be a factor, because by FAR the largest
problem area is legacy code, not necessarily code that gets a different
warning between 3.3 version 3.2. That simply exposes the problem, it
doesn't define it.

Kean