Validation Tests

A few comments on the "NIST" test suite (for those not familiar with its
status),

1) As the ANSI (and ISO) '85 Standard is NOW no longer a "recognized"
ANSI/ISO Standard (as of the approval of the 2002 Standard), these tests are
no longer relevant to a "currently recognized" COBOL Standard.  (Which is
NOT to say they aren't "useful").

2) NIST stopped doing COBOL (or any other) "independent" validations about 4
or 5 years ago.  (This had to do with Dept of Commerce "cut-backs").

3) At the time that NIST stopped doing its own testing, they "allowed"
(licensed?) EDS to do validation testing of COBOL (and SQL - as I recall).

4) From the time that EDS was licensed to do such testing to the time that
the '85 Standard became obsolete, there were ZERO (as far as I know) vendors
(or independents) who actually paid for this service.

For more information on this, see:
  http://www.eds-conform.com/ValProdList.html
	and
  http://www.eds-conform.com/languages.html

	***

Final note - FYI
  The NIST tests were modified for the 1st Amendment to the '85 Standard
(the intrinsic function amendment) but were NOT updated for the 2nd
Amendment (the "corrections" amendment).  Therefore, the test suite doesn't
even "fully" test for conformance to the "85 Standard" - as it was at the
time it became obsolete.