Re: Is there a secret formula to rebuild generated files in libffi?

> On Tue, 2003-04-22 at 15:54, John David Anglin wrote:
> > I get all kinds of error messages from automake 1.4 when I try to
> > rebuild Makefile.in with "automake --cygnus".  There also seems to
> > be a problem with the m4 macros from libtool 1.5.  Any clues?

To be more specific, here are the errors from rebuilding with
"automake --cygnus":

automake: configure.in: required file `${libffi_basedir}../install-sh' not found
automake: configure.in: required file `${libffi_basedir}../mkinstalldirs' not found
automake: configure.in: required file `${libffi_basedir}../missing' not found
configure.in: 889: required file `${libffi_basedir}../ltmain.sh' not found
configure.in: 889: required file `${libffi_basedir}../config.guess' not found
configure.in: 889: required file `${libffi_basedir}../config.sub' not found
automake: configure.in: required file `${libffi_basedir}../config.guess' not found
automake: configure.in: required file `${libffi_basedir}../config.sub' not found
automake: Makefile.am: not supported: source file `src/debug.c' is in subdirectory
automake: Makefile.am: not supported: source file `src/prep_cif.c' is in subdirectory
automake: Makefile.am: not supported: source file `src/types.c' is in subdirectory
automake: Makefile.am: not supported: source file `src/raw_api.c' is in subdirectory
automake: Makefile.am: not supported: source file `src/java_raw_api.c' is in subdirectory
automake: Makefile.am: not supported: source file `src/powerpc/ffi_darwin.c' is in subdirectory
automake: Makefile.am: not supported: source file `src/powerpc/aix.S' is in subdirectory
automake: Makefile.am: not supported: source file `src/powerpc/aix_closures.S' is in subdirectory
automake: Makefile.am: not supported: source file `src/debug.c' is in subdirectory
automake: Makefile.am: not supported: source file `src/prep_cif.c' is in subdirectory
automake: Makefile.am: not supported: source file `src/types.c' is in subdirectory
automake: Makefile.am: not supported: source file `src/raw_api.c' is in subdirectory
automake: Makefile.am: not supported: source file `src/java_raw_api.c' is in subdirectory
automake: Makefile.am: not supported: source file `src/powerpc/ffi_darwin.c' is in subdirectory
automake: Makefile.am: not supported: source file `src/powerpc/darwin.S' is in subdirectory
automake: Makefile.am: not supported: source file `src/powerpc/darwin_closure.S' is in subdirectory
automake: Makefile.am: not supported: source file `src/debug.c' is in subdirectory
automake: Makefile.am: not supported: source file `src/prep_cif.c' is in subdirectory
automake: Makefile.am: not supported: source file `src/types.c' is in subdirectory
automake: Makefile.am: not supported: source file `src/raw_api.c' is in subdirectory
automake: Makefile.am: not supported: source file `src/java_raw_api.c' is in subdirectory
automake: Makefile.am: not supported: source file `src/ia64/ffi.c' is in subdirectory
automake: Makefile.am: not supported: source file `src/ia64/unix.S' is in subdirectory
automake: Makefile.am: not supported: source file `src/debug.c' is in subdirectory
automake: Makefile.am: not supported: source file `src/prep_cif.c' is in subdirectory
automake: Makefile.am: not supported: source file `src/types.c' is in subdirectory
automake: Makefile.am: not supported: source file `src/raw_api.c' is in subdirectory
automake: Makefile.am: not supported: source file `src/java_raw_api.c' is in subdirectory
automake: Makefile.am: not supported: source file `src/mips/ffi.c' is in subdirectory
automake: Makefile.am: not supported: source file `src/mips/o32.S' is in subdirectory
automake: Makefile.am: not supported: source file `src/mips/n32.S' is in subdirectory
automake: Makefile.am: not supported: source file `src/debug.c' is in subdirectory
automake: Makefile.am: not supported: source file `src/prep_cif.c' is in subdirectory
automake: Makefile.am: not supported: source file `src/types.c' is in subdirectory
automake: Makefile.am: not supported: source file `src/raw_api.c' is in subdirectory
automake: Makefile.am: not supported: source file `src/java_raw_api.c' is in subdirectory
automake: Makefile.am: not supported: source file `src/m68k/ffi.c' is in subdirectory
automake: Makefile.am: not supported: source file `src/m68k/sysv.S' is in subdirectory
automake: Makefile.am: not supported: source file `src/debug.c' is in subdirectory
automake: Makefile.am: not supported: source file `src/prep_cif.c' is in subdirectory
automake: Makefile.am: not supported: source file `src/types.c' is in subdirectory
automake: Makefile.am: not supported: source file `src/raw_api.c' is in subdirectory
automake: Makefile.am: not supported: source file `src/java_raw_api.c' is in subdirectory
automake: Makefile.am: not supported: source file `src/alpha/ffi.c' is in subdirectory
automake: Makefile.am: not supported: source file `src/alpha/osf.S' is in subdirectory
automake: Makefile.am: not supported: source file `src/debug.c' is in subdirectory
automake: Makefile.am: not supported: source file `src/prep_cif.c' is in subdirectory
automake: Makefile.am: not supported: source file `src/types.c' is in subdirectory
automake: Makefile.am: not supported: source file `src/raw_api.c' is in subdirectory
automake: Makefile.am: not supported: source file `src/java_raw_api.c' is in subdirectory
automake: Makefile.am: not supported: source file `src/x86/ffi.c' is in subdirectory
automake: Makefile.am: not supported: source file `src/x86/sysv.S' is in subdirectory
automake: Makefile.am: not supported: source file `src/debug.c' is in subdirectory
automake: Makefile.am: not supported: source file `src/prep_cif.c' is in subdirectory
automake: Makefile.am: not supported: source file `src/types.c' is in subdirectory
automake: Makefile.am: not supported: source file `src/raw_api.c' is in subdirectory
automake: Makefile.am: not supported: source file `src/java_raw_api.c' is in subdirectory
automake: Makefile.am: not supported: source file `src/x86/ffi.c' is in subdirectory
automake: Makefile.am: not supported: source file `src/x86/win32.S' is in subdirectory
[...]
automake: Makefile.am: not supported: source file `src/sparc/ffi.c' is in subdirectory
automake: Makefile.am: not supported: source file `src/sparc/v8.S' is in subdirectory
automake: Makefile.am: not supported: source file `src/sparc/v9.S' is in subdirectory
[...]
automake: Makefile.am: not supported: source file `src/x86/ffi64.c' is in subdirectory
automake: Makefile.am: not supported: source file `src/x86/unix64.S' is in subdirectory
automake: Makefile.am: not supported: source file `src/x86/ffi.c' is in subdirectory
automake: Makefile.am: not supported: source file `src/x86/sysv.S' is in subdirectory
automake: Makefile.am: not supported: source file `src/debug.c' is in subdirectory
automake: Makefile.am: not supported: source file `src/prep_cif.c' is in subdirectory
automake: Makefile.am: not supported: source file `src/types.c' is in subdirectory
automake: Makefile.am: not supported: source file `src/raw_api.c' is in subdirectory
automake: Makefile.am: not supported: source file `src/java_raw_api.c' is in subdirectory
automake: Makefile.am: not supported: source file `src/s390/sysv.S' is in subdirectory
automake: Makefile.am: not supported: source file `src/s390/ffi.c' is in subdirectory
automake: Makefile.am: not supported: source file `src/debug.c' is in subdirectory
automake: Makefile.am: not supported: source file `src/prep_cif.c' is in subdirectory
automake: Makefile.am: not supported: source file `src/types.c' is in subdirectory
automake: Makefile.am: not supported: source file `src/raw_api.c' is in subdirectory
automake: Makefile.am: not supported: source file `src/java_raw_api.c' is in subdirectory
automake: Makefile.am: not supported: source file `src/arm/sysv.S' is in subdirectory
automake: Makefile.am: not supported: source file `src/arm/ffi.c' is in subdirectory
automake: Makefile.am: not supported: source file `src/debug.c' is in subdirectory
automake: Makefile.am: not supported: source file `src/prep_cif.c' is in subdirectory
automake: Makefile.am: not supported: source file `src/types.c' is in subdirectory
automake: Makefile.am: not supported: source file `src/raw_api.c' is in subdirectory
automake: Makefile.am: not supported: source file `src/java_raw_api.c' is in subdirectory
automake: Makefile.am: not supported: source file `src/powerpc/ffi.c' is in subdirectory
automake: Makefile.am: not supported: source file `src/powerpc/sysv.S' is in subdirectory
automake: Makefile.am: not supported: source file `src/powerpc/ppc_closure.S' is in subdirectory
[...]
automake: Makefile.am: not supported: source file `src/sh/sysv.S' is in subdirectory
automake: Makefile.am: not supported: source file `src/sh/ffi.c' is in subdirectory
[...]
Makefile.am:84: ffitest_OBJECTS should not be defined
Makefile.am:171: invalid unused variable name: `libfficonvenience_la_SOURCES'

The following patch may be the culprit:

2003-01-31  Christian Cornelssen  <ccorn at cs dot tu-berlin dot de>,
            Andreas Schwab  <schwab at suse dot de>

	    * configure.in: Adjust command to source config-ml.in to account
	    for changes to the libffi_basedir definition.
	    (libffi_basedir): Remove ${srcdir} from value and include trailing
	    slash if nonempty.

Dave
--
J. David Anglin                                  dave dot anglin at nrc-cnrc dot gc dot ca
National Research Council of Canada              (613) 990-0752 (FAX: 952-6602)