Bootstrap build of 3.2.2 on Darwin 6.5

This morning I built all languages, including C, C++, ObjC, F77, and Java from the 3.2.2 release of GCC on a Power Macintosh.

Here are the results asked for:

gcc-3.2.2/config.guess:
	powerpc-apple-darwin6.5

gcc/xgcc -v:
  Using built-in specs.
  Configured with: ../gcc-3.2.2/configure
  Thread model: single
  gcc version 3.2.2

This was built on a Power Macintosh G4 MDD with Dual 1 GHz CPUs.
This machine had 1 GB of RAM and 480 GB of drive space.
This machine was running Mac OS X 10.2.5, which is Darwin 6.5.
The starting build tools were Apple's December 2002 Developer Tools.
The build was a multiprocessor build using (GNU) make -j 2.

I did not apply any patches. The only non-standard part of the build, as recommended in the INSTALL notes, was setting the stack limit in Terminal to 800 KB.

My build steps were simple and went like clockwork:

  limit stack 800
  gnutar xpzf gcc-3.2.2.tar.gz
  mkdir dbuild
  cd dbuild
  ../gcc-3.2.2/configure
  make -j 2 bootstrap

There were no errors in the build, but there were a lot of warnings. I guess this is standard? They appeared minor, like signed/unsigned conversions, etc.

The boostrap build took 40 minutes on the dual CPU machine.
The total disk space consumed by the distribution and the bootstrap build was 340 MB.

Dan Allen
Measure | Analyze | Communicate