Re: Release Quality Control

On Mon, 14 Apr 2003, Mark Mitchell wrote:
>> To be precise, this is my recollection of what we agreed to, it may
>> not be precise.
> That's my recollection as well.

Mine, too.  But the point I was trying to make was the following:

 o As far as I am aware of(!), in the past we didn't actually ensure our
 quality criteria for primary platforms, for example, in that we did not
 solicit   current test results etc. for primary platforms where these
 were missing and explicitly verify that everything was fine.

 o Even if secondary platform do not absolutely need to work, we could try
 to proactively solicit test results (more) proactively, even for tertiary
 platforms.

That's all I had in mind, and especially given the problems with GCC 3.2.2
on a couple of platforms I still think it's a good idea to put a bit more
emphasis on that.

(One simple way would be to announce some "last" pre-release snapshot
on the gcc-announce list and ask for testers, waiting, say, one week
before the actual release.)

Gerald
--
Gerald "Jerry"   pfeifer at dbai dot tuwien dot ac dot at   http://www.pfeifer.com/gerald/