Re: ld.so mechanism

I have several preliminary questions:

I don'y know anything about this, but ld.so, but I don't think thgis is the right mailing list to ask:
.) ld.so is the dynamic linker, so you might try on the binutils mailing list
.) on my RedHat 8, it comes packaged with glibc, so you might ask the glibc people
.) man 8 ld.so mentions a couple things about where ld.so gets its info, but I'm not familiar with it. I guess you already looked there, though ;-)

1. Suppose a C function that have signature "int foo(int)" that is stored in
foolib.so . Suppose prog.c has a line "extern int foo(int)". Do you know
where does this foo signature is stored, so that ld can automatically link
prog.c to this function?

2. Which file in the gcc-3.2.2 sourcecode should I begin to look at? I'm
using Redhat 8.0 that is using the latest gcc (3.2.2 20030923)

I have a Thesis that have a topic "Remote Dynamic Linking". My plan is
trying to expand the role of Linux linker/loader, ld.so, from
linking/loading a particular program to a shared library that is stored in
remote computer.

Can't you simply put all the .so libaries on a NFS share, export it, and configure ld.so to loock there ?

.fwyzard.