Re: C++: Why do we nreverse CLASSTYPE_TAGS

Matt Austern <austern at apple dot com> writes:

| On Monday, March 24, 2003, at 11:21 AM, Mark Mitchell wrote:
|
| >> OK, I'll experiment with that approach.  What threasold would you put
| >> for "lots"?
| >
| > I dunno.  Probably 10 or so, to start.  With fewer than that, hashing
| > can't possibly be a win.
|
| How expensive is the hash function?  Unless it's pretty extreme, I'd
| be surprised if you needed to get all the way to 10 to get a win.

Actually, we have the hash function for free for the following reason:

   by caching the hash value, as suggested in a previous patch, we
   don't need to recompute it when we map a name to the associated
   type.  That hash is already computed as a result of calling
   get_identifier().

-- Gaby