Re: 3.3 compile time regression (22400%)

On Tue, 18 Mar 2003, Michael Matz wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On Tue, 18 Mar 2003, Richard Guenther wrote:
>
> > max-inline-insns-single
> > Several parameters control the tree inliner used in gcc. This number sets
> > the maximum number of instructions (counted in gcc's internal
> > representation) in a single function that the tree inliner will consider
> > for inlining. This only affects functions declared inline and methods
> > implemented in a class declaration (C++). The default value is 300.
>
> Your 3.3 branch is much too old.  This was fixed/introduced on 2003-03-06.

I also do not see differences in the current 3.3 sources - in fact,
params.def reads:

/* The single function inlining limit. This is the maximum size
   of a function counted in internal gcc instructions (not in
   real machine instructions) that is eligible for inlining
   by the tree inliner.
   The default value is 300.
   Only functions marked inline (or methods defined in the class
   definition for C++) are affected by this, unless you set the
   -finline-functions (included in -O3) compiler option.
   There are more restrictions to inlining: If inlined functions
   call other functions, the already inlined instructions are
   counted and once the recursive inline limit (see
   "max-inline-insns" parameter) is exceeded, the acceptable size
   gets decreased.  */
DEFPARAM (PARAM_MAX_INLINE_INSNS_SINGLE,
          "max-inline-insns-single",
          "The maximum number of instructions in a single function
eligible for inlining",
          300)

Richard.

--
Richard Guenther <richard dot guenther at uni-tuebingen dot de>